You know what, I’m loving this concept video for the next ios 7. I hope it comes true as it looks great!
Archive for iphone
Yes folks, I am now an Android user (again), ever since the Nexus One back in 2010 I have been using the Apple iphone from the 3GS to the 4/4S and finally the iphone 5. No, I’m not a rich bum it’s just that I get to choose a phone for work and when a new iphone comes round I would raise my hand. So after spending 4 months with the iphone 5, I was bored with it and now really intrigued with the new line up of Nexus devices from Google. That is when I caught my eye on the Nexus 4, this is the latest (well it’s now about 4 months old since it launch on mid November) Android device running on a smartphone from google. Made by LG which I must say would not be a choice of company I would normally buy from.
So, why did I switch? Simple, the screen size and keyboard, I always wanted a bigger screen for my phone as it just gives you so much more real estate and everything looks bigger!! The new 4″ screen on the iphone 5 was a welcome relieve but after spending some time on it, it still pales when compares with any other smartphone. Second, the keyboard, Apple does have a decent keyboard but Damn that autocorrect, it just doesn’t cut it for me anymore. With Android, you get to choose from a hugh variety of keyboards, I have settle with the stock Android 4.2 keyboard with swipe-like gesture for typing. You know what, I’m loving this swipe thingy, it really makes typing so much quicker and most importantly, it just so cool to use. It feels like playing a game of Fruit ninja if you know what I’m talking about.
Well, it is now week 3 with the Nexus 4 and I’m now really getting into the hang of it, the Android may take abit of getting used to as now you can customised to your heart’s content. So this is my quick run down on the pros and cons considering there are about a billion reviews of this phone out there.
- Speed, this phone is fast, like iphone fast kind of fast, transition is like butter (punt intended) and apps opens quickly. I’m amazed at how well the phone runs with so many apps opened in the background.
- Stocked Android OS, this means this phone gets the latest and greatest software updates as soon as Google releases it. I love it. With the latest 4.2 release, some of the camera features are really awesome like photo-sphere.
- Design, I must admit this phone is beautifully built, it has a great fit and finished and feels great in the hand.
- Customisation, out with the boring icons like pages in the iphone, all Android phones are made to be completely customisable. Over time, I will try out some of the great Home screen customisation as found on http://www.mycolorscreen.com
- Google integration, this phone is one of the easiest phone to setup, all you need is your Gmail account and Boom, everything you ever did with Google apps like G+/Picasa/Reader/Gmail/Docs/Maps are all there and setupped once you go pass the login screen. Well, this may not be a feature if you do not use Gmail or many of the other Google apps.
- Price, you cant beat an unlocked smartphone with all the tech trimmings at a great price of USD$299 (16GB version).
- Battery life on this phone sucks, although it claims it has a 2100 mAh battery but with constant usage of the phone, you will probably only last 3/4 of the day til it runs flat. Also, the battery cannot be replaced since the back is sealed.
- Glass back may become a problem as it can be scratched and break easily (similar to the iphone 4/4S)
- No memory expansion, if you are like me who likes to try out new apps all the time, you may find the phone filling up rather quickly. With only 16GB on internal storage, it may become a problem if you have lots of videos or photos on your phone.
- Camera quality, one thing the iphone has and still beats every other phone is the camera, no other smartphone comes close to the quality of the iphone camera. Sad to say, the Nexus 4 only have a passible camera, it does not take good low light photos and most of them comes out grainy.
One of my major concern about using an Android phone was the Apps that I have grown to lived without on the iphone, this is no longer a problem as I was able to find the same App or find a great replacement app in the Google Play store. All in all, I’m very happy with the switch and so far the transition has been very seamless and smooth, looking forward to all the Android goodness in the coming future. Checkout the Nexus 4 here.
I have an iphone 4S, like every iphone user, we all wish we had the dough to upgrade to an iphone 5. But sadly, that has not happen (yet). So the next best thing is to have the iphone 5 experience, which is IOS 6. Upgrading to IOS 6 is a pleasure, yes, I said pleasure, this is because it is the most hassle free process ever. All you do is say “Yes” to the software upgrade under settings and your phone will begin the journey, and about 1.5hrs later, boom, there she is IOS 6.
So, how does it feel, well, exactly like the previous version, there isn’t much of a difference at first as everything looks and feel the same. It’s only when you start using it, then you get the “new” experience, some good, some bad.
The most obvious is Youtube, it’s gone, you now need to download the official Google Youtube app from the App Store as it no longer comes pre-install with IOS6. Which by the way is pretty good compared with the old Youtube app, go play with it and you’ll see.
Now, the new Map App which is Apple’s attempt at making Maps and my first impressions, it looks nice. All the essentials are there, the 3D feature is nice but after playing with it for some time, it’s more gimmick than useful. The turn-by-turn is a great addition, that is the one thing I hated about the old Google maps on the iphone is the lack of voice assisted navigation. The problem with it is the search results, many time I would search for some business and it returns nothing, which is both disappointing and annoying. I have not seen the problems many others have observed with streets names and locations. Overall, I prefer the old Google Maps.
The camera app now comes with panoramic, which has been pointed out by many of my Android using friends that it’s been around for some years. Better late than never I say. It’s easy to use but one annoying thing is that it pans from left to right only, why can’t we pan the other way too Apple, why?
There is now a “Do not Disturb” feature where you can schedule no pickups during certain time and also reply calls with a pre-defined Txt like “I’m in a meeting” or “Piss-off, I dun wanna talk righ now”. Passbook, which is a new app that don’t work in Oz is pretty much useless at the moment. Also, SIRI got an upgrade, meh… didn’t notice any difference.
What else, oh, they change the GUI of the phone App, looks ok I guess. So, that’s it, IOS 6, go update now!! You have nothing to loose, except Google Maps and Youtube….
Probably the worst kept secret in Apple launch history. Still, it’s a thing of beauty and I want it BAD! Check it out here.
Who ever tells you that to great photographers uses the best camera gear will produce the best pictures are fools. This is a perfect example that to get great photos you basically need good lighting and photoshop skills… Check out this fashion shoot using an iphone 3GS, the photos looks great but I give the credit to the “retoucher”.
When Flipboard first came out on the ipad, I thought it was the best news reader in the world and frankly, it is on the ipad. Now they have launched the iphone version and it’s even better. How is that possible on a smaller screen. Well, it is, go try it NOW! Check it out here.
Not only is this Tiny wooden whale a super cute iphone stand it also doubles as a speaker. Gotta get me one of that! Check it out here.
Moshi moshi? Who is it? Oh, it’s you Mr iPhone, how nice of you to call. This is one of the better looking bluetooth handset for an iPhone and also comes with a charger. Nice design, sleek curves with smooth corners, I like very much. Check it out here.
This is a cool idea, combine boring hobby with high tech, you get awesome gift ideas. If you’re into cross stitching, you can try your hand doing some fancy stitch art onto an iphone 4 case. I wish someone would stitch me one. Check it out here.
I love this app, it’s made by Microsoft and it’s free. What does it do? Well, you used your photo to take 360 degrees of photos and the app stitches it up. Doesn’t sound too flash but the results are awesome. Check it out at here. You’ll know what I mean.